Study of a Dutch Family
In his pioneering study of a Dutch family with several generations of violent males, clinical geneticist Dr. Han Brunner has provided the first tangible evidence of a direct link between molecular biology (a MAO A deficiency) and aggressive behavior in humans.
Discovery of a Dutch Family
In this video Dr. Brunner outlines problems with males in the family and the beginning of a scientific project.
Sequencing the family:
• What causes the problem?
• Testing for MAO A activity
• Gene sequencing reveals mutations
• Summarizing the situation
Problems with sleep:
• Night terrors
Stress and environment
Genetic and environmental interactions
• Stable situations
• Stressful situations
The family’s report
• “A curious case”
• The grand uncle’s study: could it be inherited?
• His conclusions: female transmission affects the males
Whether to Publish
• A new idea coupled with uncertainties
• What the family wanted
• Reception to the study: genes do matter
• Changing paradigms